— September 14 , 2023
Ask a Question, Save a Life
QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer
Three simple steps anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. QPR saves lives by providing innovative, practical, and proven suicide prevention training. QPR trains ordinary people to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and then to question, persuade, and refer someone for help. September 10-17 is National Suicide Prevention Week. Training sessions this week are open to anyone in our community and are free to attend (no registration is required). Please see the attached FLYER or visit talkheart2heart.org/resources/qpr-training/ to learn more about this life-saving training.
August 30, 2023
Dear Parents and Guardians,
As part of ongoing support for families, your child’s school is offering a series of classes for parents and guardians through a partnership with the Behavior Intervention Support Team (BIST). These training sessions are designed to provide ways you can support your child’s developing academic and behavior skills, as well as increase consistency between home and school.
BIST Virtual Parenting Series
5:45 PM - 6:00 PM Enter Zoom Room
6:00 PM – 6:45 PM Informational Session
6:45 PM – 7:00 PM Questions and Answers
September 19th: Punishment vs. Protection
September 26th: Enabling vs. Equipping
October 3rd: Cultivating Accountability to Grow Seeds of Empathy
These classes are designed to:
• Create consistency between school and home
• Provide language for adults to use when redirecting children
• Share ways to problem solve to increase your child’s success
• Increase generosity and kindness in your children
• Bring a sense of calm to your home
• Please join us for any or all three sessions!
How to Register for Free Training
These virtual classes are provided free of charge. However, we do ask that you please register through our website on or before Friday, September 15, 2023. Instructions for registration are on the page below.
We are excited to offer this opportunity to you!
Marty Huitt, Director
Behavior Intervention Support Team/Cornerstones of Care
8150 Wornall Rd
Kansas City, MO 64114
To register for this class:
- 1. Go to http://BIST.org
- 2. Use the dropdown menu “My Account.” Click Log In/Log Out.
- 3. Create a username by clicking “Click Here” under the large LOG IN heading. If you already created a username by previously enrolling in a BIST class, just log in.
- 4. Enter your information (Name, Email, and a Password). This will register you on the website, but not for the class.
- 5. Select the class you wish to attend. Click “Register” to the right of the class name.
- 6. Follow the instructions.Be sure to select “Pay Later via PO” under the Payment Method. This Parent Class is free, but you must select the “Pay Later via PO” option in order to register.
- 7. Select your child’s District and School from the dropdown menus.
- 8. Select your position as a Parent unless you are a school staff member. If you are both a parent and a school staff member, you may select either.
Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email containing the Zoom link for the training sessions. If you do not receive a confirmation email by noon on Monday, September 18th, please contact our office at email@example.com for assistance.
Teen Mental Health
A Centers for Disease Control (CDC) report recently came out highlighting the rise in Adolescent Mental Health and Bryan Health is taking a lead in providing helpful information to our community. We are hosting a Facebook Live event on Tuesday, April 18 featuring our very own Andrea Ruiz, LIMHP from the Bryan Counseling Center with a special focus on Youth Mental Health. Here is the link to landing page https://www.bryanhealth.com/teen-mental-health and the link to the Facebook event https://fb.me/e/C6eDKj0y.
A general information flyer is below.