— February 01 , 2024
This year's first action alert is on school choice - and it comes at no better time: Catholic Schools Week!
Last year, Nebraska finally became a school choice state through the passage of the Opportunity Scholarships Act (LB753). With this momentum, we are continuing to push for educational freedom in Nebraska. School choice champion, Senator Lou Ann Linehan, introduced LB1402 this session. This bill would provide $25 million in funding for school choice scholarships! Children and families need you to tell the Appropriations Committee to advance LB1402.
LB1402 uses a tried and true mechanism to deliver scholarships, especially to children who are low-income, bullied, military, or who have special needs. It appropriates $25 million to the State Treasurer to grant scholarships to kids through scholarship-granting organizations (SGOs). This bill will give children and families new opportunities to thrive in an educational environment that best fits them.
Already, Opportunity Scholarships of Nebraska has nearly 4,000 students interested in scholarship opportunities and LB1402 can guarantee these children an education that helps them thrive.
The Appropriations Committee will hold a public hearing on LB1402 on Tuesday, February 6th at 1:30 PM. Your stories and your voice matter. You can help advocate for LB1402 by submitting a written comment to the Appropriations Committee. Written comments are uniquely important, as they are part of the official record of a bill, similar to in-person testimony. As Bishop Hanefeldt often says, "There is strength in numbers."
How To Submit Written Comment
- Click this link to go to the LB1402's landing page.
- Click the button in the middle of the webpage that says "Submit Comments Online for LB1402".
- Fill out the form with your information and comments. Be sure to click "Yes" on "Include Comment in Public Hearing Record" and that you are a "Proponent"! Need ideas about what to say? See our tips below!
- Once you've completed the form, click "Submit Comment" at the bottom of the webpage.
- You'll automatically be sent a verification email from the Nebraska Legislature with the subject line, "Verify your Written Comment for LB1402". Click the link in this email to verify your comment, otherwise your comments will not be submitted.
What Do I Say?
- Share your story of how educational freedom helped, could have helped, or will help your child(ren) and family.
- Every child has the right to an education that best meets their unique needs.
- Many families can't afford to move to a better school district or afford to send their child to a private school where they will thrive. All kids deserve the same access to a good education.
- LB1402 will produce a cost-savings to Nebraska taxpayers, in addition to the $500 million dollars that private school families annually save the state.
- Twenty of 21 studies showed these programs improve the performance of nearby public schools.
Please note that the deadline to submit comments for LB1402 is Tuesday, February 6 at 8:00 AM. But don't delay to send your comments in now.
We hope the Chairman of Appropriations Committee will announce an overwhelming number of comments in support of educational freedom for families. Help us make this happen!
P.S. If you are looking for an inspiring story, look no further than Jacob Idra, an All Saints Catholic School and Mount Michael Benedictine alumnus. Access to a scholarship changed Jacob's life!